Sunday, June 6, 2010

A New Contributor for Gluten Free Charlotte

It all began when I was 10 years old. For some reason or another I was obsessed with hot dogs; random, but yes, hot dogs. Weirdly enough I was content with eating the same foods all the time, that should have been the first clue. Regardless, I ate them with little care in the world. The last I ever had was in Yankee Stadium during the 2nd inning. Who would have thought that hours later, during the 7th inning stretch with the National Anthem being sang in the background, I would have an acute allergy attack and be rushed out of the stadium on a gurney and oxygen mask attached to my face?! By mid-morning the next day I was released. The only remnants of my horrific day before being a case of hives that looked ugly and itched constantly.

Weeks later I started having chest pains, just like in the stadium, which got me a diagnosis of Acid Reflux. Pills were administered and I went about my business. However, the chest pains just kept getting worse, the pills weren't doing the trick. The next diagnosis was Acute Acid Reflux. From there it felt like the years just all mesh into snippets of time, not really periods of it. I was called a Hypochondriac by two doctors, was diagnosed with random diseases that never panned out and even received the good old, suffers from IBS label. It wasn't until I met Dr. Green in New York City who finally gave me what I was searching for; a true diagnosis. While I do not suffer from Celiacs Disease, I do suffer from its sister illness, Wheat and Gluten Intolerance with a side of IBS (that part was accurate at least). The minute I gave up those precious morsels of grain it was like a whole new me. I am sure each and every one of you can relate to that.

One would think being Wheat and Gluten Intolerant is far easier than being a Celiac, but it is not. I had given up so many foods already, I didn't even know where to start. It took months to even work up the confidence to eat in restaurants or have a drink out with friends. However, like all of you, I made it through.

Now, I cannot imagine sitting home on a Friday or Saturday night. I love going out. Eating at Gluten Free, established places and also going to one's that aren't and working with chefs to make it perfect just for me. It is amazing what chefs will do for you if you just ask, something I never would have been able to do prior to my diagnosis. It does still feel funny though going out for sushi and bringing my own soy sauce - that one never gets old! Still, despite everything, I love my life and want to tell you about what you might be missing out on. Between restaurants, lounges, cafes, destination places, etc. I plan on bringing you all of the options. It is my passion and pleasure to help others the way I wished I could have been helped when I was diagnosed - hopefully you'll let me.

If you have places that you want mentioned or knowledge that would be of use to others, let me know. I am open to any and all suggestions and really want this blog to be a place for everyone to enjoy.

So, now that you know my history and my goals, let the journey begin!

No comments: